Saturday, March 22, 2014

Ahh - Home Sweet Home!

This kid never ceases to amaze me. 

We got home last night and he was just a real champ. We dosed some oxycodone before he went to bed, and I thought for sure he would be up with pain but much to my surprise, I was the one that was up all night checking on him, as he slept like a baby through the night.

Today we were flooded with visits from friends and families bearing food and gifts. Cannon loved all the attention and I think I caught him hamming it up a bit at times where he'd moan a little until his cousin came in and he'd perk up and ask "Grab a remote, we can play Need to Speed!" Hmmmm.

We were surprised by the Green Room team by Cannon's favorite meal: spaghetti and meatballs! (Note: Pasquales meatballs rock!) He ate his biggest meal yet, had his first bath and is now resting comfortably. His goofy personality is even starting to every so slowly come back! Here he is concentrating on his meatball dinner.





Anyway he's really handling the pain fabulously. He does have tears when it really hurts him and the medicine works wonders, making him comfy for a nap or able to walk downstairs for a quick visit. His incision seriously amazes me. I have never seen anything like it. It's healing beautifully and I swear the surgeon that did his stitches must do intricate needlepoint. Amazing work!

But I'm amazed at how he continues to push himself. He has great self discipline and even does exercises on his own. We strategically put the Xbox and PS3 into different rooms to force him to walk around a bit and he quickly took the bait!

In the meantime, all 18 kids that visited today (minus the adults) took turns riding scooters and bikes and doing laps around the block, taking the dogs for walks, and keeping each other busy doing old fashioned things like making slingshots out of sticks, string and tape (ha!) and going to the park.

Also a big THANK YOU to everyone who has dropped gifts on our doorstep and have come by to say "hi" - the kids (and I) really appreciate it and we are really overwhelmed by the incredible outpouring of support and love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment