Monday, October 19, 2015

Ups and downs

We haven't updated for a few days because everything is constantly changing and as soon as we post something, it is outdated. Truly ups and our fair share of downs.

The drain has been doing its job to remove extra CSF (cerebral spinal fluid) but its a delicate dance where we are trying figure out how much to drain to keep fluid from leaking out of the incision. This is important so his wound stays dries and can heal and that seal is what regulates the production of CSF. If we drain too little fluid, CSF builds up and can leak out the incision (prolonging healing) and too much drainage causes him to get a wicked headache. Aside from being a nuisance, the CSF leakage can make Cannon especially susceptible to infection, which has us all very nervous and anxious. 

Over the past weekend, we had some additional challenges. First, his incision kept leaking despite having the drain in place. Then, to complicate things even more, his lumbar drain in his lower back started to leak. Because of this leak, he had to have some additional stitches in his lower back. I think the entire PICU floor knows Cannon now after that procedure, as it was with no pain killers.

This morning (Monday), his incision still was leaking, so he had additional stitches where they cleaned out his wound and restitched the part that is having trouble healing. After the ordeal sealing up his drain, they decided to pretty heavily sedate him. Cannon is hilarious when he is on these sedatives. The nurse called it "Truth serum" so of course I took advantage and asked him if he had a girlfriend or had a crush on anyone in his class, to which he replied in a very drunken slur, "Mom, this stuff is strong but it's not that strong for me to tell you that." The entire staff got a big kick out of that. :)


The ups were plenty this weekend. He had lots of visitors! Including his Grace and Clark, Grandmat and Grandpa, Uncle Scott and Aunt Nicole and cousins Bennett and Lara, as well as Will and Tristan from school. And he got LOTS of food. :)

He even had a visitor from Dakota, a therapy dog in training. This really made him very happy and he can't wait to meet the next therapy dog making the rounds.

So now that the wound has been stitched up with what we pray is a tight seal, the drain is in place and  he is resting comfortably, we ask you to pray for healing and to protect him against infection. I can't tell you how much we appreciate the continued prayers and positive thoughts. It really keeps us going. More to come later this week. 

2 comments:

  1. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciated this update. I went back to your page to see if possibly I missed one because he's always on my mind and prayers. So, through all of the craziness I am so happy were able to give us this. The extra meds part made me laugh!!!! Continued prayers and love from us all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot begin to tell you how much I appreciated this update. I went back to your page to see if possibly I missed one because he's always on my mind and prayers. So, through all of the craziness I am so happy were able to give us this. The extra meds part made me laugh!!!! Continued prayers and love from us all!!!!

    ReplyDelete